Monday, July 10, 2023

A teacher's summer errand loop

As a teacher I take joy in how the summer affords me to leisurely go about my days for a few precious weeks. On Monday, I took my time doing a loop of errands. My itinerary looked something like this. 

First, I dropped off my bike for some overdue maintenance at Scooter's Bike Shop. I made an attempt to inquire about buying some overpriced thingamajigs for my bike but the owner talked me out of it. 

Second, I made my way to Best Buy to check out desktop PC offerings. But on the way I jumped into an appliance and lighting store to investigate laundry options. They had a neat all-in-one model there - a combo washer and dryer. Sherry and I concluded its odd dimensions wouldn't be a good fit for our space. 

I did eventually get to Best Buy. There was a decent desktop PC there but I punted the decision until later in the week. I've learned recently that I'm something of a dinosaur in my desktop computer preferences. There's not too many of us shopping for such a thing anymore. I do see options, but then become conscious of how I'm getting something that the market is largely rejecting. 

Fourth stop (boring): Costco for gasoline. Then it was time to arc home in time to meet Sherry for lunch at 12:30. 

That brought me to a grocery store, Redner's, I don't shop at as often as I should. Where I grew up they had a reputation as being a bit too cheap and I have to overcome some snobbish tendencies to pull in. When I do pull in I'm glad I did because the staff is so darned nice. (Whoops, I forgot to mention the ATM stop right before Redner's.)

My sixth stop was my favorite hardware store where I remembered a few critical items (propane) but forgot others (birdseed and bungees). Will stop again later in the week. 

And all this got me back (whew!) just in time for lunch with Sherry. 

After lunch I set out on foot to clear out the last few errands. That included stops at the SEPTA station for Key cards, the post office for postcard stamps, and then finally the library. I'm employing a new trick to cut down on spending on books: I mark books in my wishlist on Amazon but then consult the list at the library. If the book is there I borrow it and remove the item from my wishlist. I picked up two books there. 

And more importantly: a board game. One can check out board games for three weeks? Really? Awesome. So for a few weeks I have a board game that is out of print to temporarily enjoy: Acquire. Splendid. And I came home with ideas for museums to visit using free passes from the library. 

No comments: