Sunday, November 4, 2018

All Saints Sunday

One of my favorite treasures on display at our home right now: Gram in 1946 (l), Pap and Gram circa 1987 (c), and Pap in his Army uniform. 

My church has a fine tradition of displaying photographs of loved ones who have passed away throughout our sanctuary on All Saints Sunday. I don't have any of my loved ones there (I guess it's always felt like more of a celebration of the congregation's saints). We are, however, in temporary possession of the portraits that used to be in my late grandmother's home of her, Pap, and the two of them. I decided that Martin should keep them company on this day.

There are two photos, though, that I'm particularly grateful to have on display. One is of the congregation's late pastor Bob Hyson. I never met him, though I owe him a great deal for his leadership to the congregation before we arrived. Also, he's the late husband of our neighbor and friend. Another photo, though, caught my eye and that is of Paul Ferla, an area businessman who was co-founder of the band that brings me such joy.

A saint I never met, but to whom I'm grateful. 
There are a few traditions at our church in which we ought to take particular pride. I look forward to seeing this one in action each and every November.

No comments: