Sunday, November 4, 2018

History

I see the enormous amount of time between my last two posts. Goodness gracious.

When I started this blog years ago I did so mostly to opine on things political and economic. Alas, that realm has dispirited me so much in the last year, I haven't felt moved to write much. And I still don't. The newspaper has lost its thrill for me right now, the tone and tenor of our politics is so wrecked. I'll still vote, though, Tuesday.

It was also about this time last year that I had to make a call on continuing my participation as part of church leadership, something that was draining me quite a great deal. The mounting stress of that coincided with a call from an old friend wondering if I wanted to embark on a second historical adventure: the adventure that culminated in my Memorializing the Fallen work. I almost said no to that, citing the pressures with my church work.

Then I realized I needed to go intellectually and spiritually where I felt joy. So I said yes to the adventure and stepped away from the governance at church.

----

The marker for a veteran of the U.S. Colored Troops at Arlington. I could tell you more why I place this image here, but there's only so much time right now. 

I have so much to be grateful for, namely in the constants in my life. Family continues to bless me. My work continues to provide. Music remains a constant joy, especially at church.

Going back to history, though, was a choice as to how I would channel my intellectual and spiritual energies. The intellectual part of that might be obvious, but spiritual . . . Well I guess that's why I'm moved to write on today, All Saints Sunday.

My historical work has brought me back to study of the World Wars and Korea. It's heightened my awareness of how we memorialize the dead and the causes for which they fight. It's led me on odysseys that fill me with wonder and has empowered me to share what I have learned, an ability to articulate ideas that are historical and aesthetic and spiritual, in ways I didn't anticipate just a few years ago.

So I find myself on this All Saints Sunday grateful for the constant sources of joy in my life as well as for the chance I had to shift focus in the past year.

Kilroy, hidden on the aft side of the National World War II Memorial, Washington, DC. 

No comments: