Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Canceled Week

The last time I had a week like this, it was 1994 and I was a high school senior celebrating his birthday marooned at home during a snow storm. This time I was a dad and a teacher marooned in the aftermath of a storm that rendered so many people without power. But, like that week 18 years ago, everything in my life seemed to be canceled. 

  • Work: canceled all week
  • Band practice: canceled
  • Choir practice: canceled
  • Kid's choir practice: canceled

So what have I to show from my week that wasn't? Not much. 

  • I think I was a really good father in this past week, one who spent a lot time with his kids. 
  • I did a masterful job keeping kids out of the way of working adults when, on Wednesday, our house became something of a wi-fi remote office. 
  • I gained some perspective on the stresses associated with my job, and chuckled at the humility I gained from creating lessons that were scuttled as a result of continued delays. 

It's funny: when it's all said and done I will not have seen my students in ten days. This has been a wonderful departure from the norm. The bill, in the form of days tacked on at the end of the year is going to be ugly when it comes. I may as well enjoy this calm interruption while I can. 

No comments: