Saturday, May 3, 2014

Well, I guess the facts changed again

John Maynard Keynes, when challenged by a reporter asking why he changed his mind so often on important questions of economic policy, quipped "When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?" In the spirit of Keynes, I guess I'm changing my mind too. 

I'm glad President Obama is ordering a policy review on the death penalty. I hope it leads to a shift away from capital punishment in the U.S. I hope every state puts executions on hold, and I hope every state eventually ends the practice of it. I could support a U.S. Constitutional Amendment banning it. It's done. 

If you're curious as to why I changed my mind, I encourage you to read this article from a recent issue of The Economist. I found it quite convincing. 

That is all for now. 

1 comment:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Yes. Absolutely.

But there are those who say that anti-abortion and anti-death penalty go hand-in-hand. While I think abortion is an unfortunate decision, I believe in a woman's right to choose. Really complicated.