Thursday, June 16, 2016

Unorthodox Unindependent

The problem with being someone who isn't necessarily partisan but who lives in a state that has closed primaries is that one has to either be an independent without a voice or affiliated asynchronously with a party and its policy positions. I was an unorthodox Republican, and as such held the following views while with that party (and still, by and large, hold them today):

  • Education funding should be more robust.
  • There's nothing inherently evil about public-sector unions. 
  • We should be welcoming to immigrants. 
  • I'm very ambivalent on capital punishment*
  • I believe it's unconstitutional to prevent same-sex couples from marrying* 
  • We may just benefit by nationalizing medical care*

Now that I'm a Democrat, though, I may as well confess to my heresies as part of this new party.

  • I don't think President Bush made the wrong decision invading Iraq in 2003
  • We should be meaningfully reforming Social Security and Medicare, in particular adopting the CPI-U-C to determine COLA adjustments 
  • Sugary drink taxes are for the birds 
  • The Supreme Court was right in its Citizens United decision 
  • The ACA unnecessarily over-reaches on social issues, in particular its policies regarding birth control prescriptions 
  • I question the propriety of funding Planned Parenthood with taxpayer dollars  

At some point I'll get kicked out of this party, too. But in the meanwhile, maybe I can stir up some moderate change. Oh boy, doesn't that sound exciting.




*Relatively recent policy changes

1 comment:

Patricia Venkatesh said...

robert@mail.postmanllc.net