Monday, June 25, 2018

Alex F. Johnson

Readers may remember a rather somber post I wrote in October following the death of our cat, Ernie. Ernie remains my favorite pet I've ever had and I'm thankful for the years we had with him.

Only a month went by after his passing when I felt a yearning for a new pet. Our household felt empty without a pet. Most of that first month after his death featured a pet, though. We had a loaner: my father-in-law's dog Blackberry. Wonderful dog. As his time at our house wound to a conclusion, though, I started to dread what it would be like when he left.

Blackberry in our backyard.

Blackberry awaits a treat that will never come (Sherry was peeling grapefruit, which the dog mistook for meat). 
Alex on his first evening at our house. 
So I combed the web to find a cat, and I found one, named Patrick, who looked particularly smart. He arrived the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and immediately treated the house like it was his own. 


Alex on his second morning at our house, pretending to be cuddly. This was his last time on our lap in months. 
Playful, spry, and curious, he sometimes makes me wonder if he's the same species as our previous pet, who was lethargic, lazy, and needy to a fault. 









Oh, and he makes for good memes.


So far he's a far better cat than Ernie. A better pet than him? Time will tell.

No comments: