Monday, August 6, 2012

8-6-1945

It's hard for today to pass by without me thinking on the destruction of Hiroshima 67 years ago today. I think I've posted on it before, and my convictions about President Truman's decision to order the dropping of that bomb remain what they were. But as we near seven decades' passing since that event, I wonder about the impact that the complete passing of that generation will have on the human race. On only two occasions were atomic or nuclear weapons used in a combat operation - both by the U.S. to conclude the war in the Pacific. As long as survivors of that blast and their contemporaries remain alive, there is a memory of how horrific that weapon was. When they pass on, is there a chance the human race will forget?

I don't foresee a nuclear holocaust in our future. But I do fear a rogue nation or group destroying a city in an attempt to send a message or to inflict pain on a towering giant. Might my nightmare have a greater chance of coming true when the survivors and their contemporaries are no more?

No comments: