Wednesday, August 15, 2012

So, why am I a Republican?

This will be a brief post . . . sorry for the provocative title.

Ruth Marcus writes a wonderful op-ed in today's Washington Post. It's fairly objective, taking Republicans and Democrats, right and left to task for creating an environment in which dialogue on Medicare (and by extension the federal debt) impossible. I invite you to read it here.


So, why the provocative title for this post (which is about to end). A few nights ago a friend (politely) challenged me to explain why I was still a Republican. Let's face it, much of what characterized me demographically and occupationally would point D - I'm a public school teacher (of Social Studies no less), I live in a state that's more blue than red, I seem to defy stereotypes about what Republicans believe on several social issues.

Marcus writes an essay that comes pretty close to articulating the frustration I have concerning the dialogue in this election. The way I look at an issue like Medicare down the road might offer some perspective on why I still keep my registration with the Rs rather than D. 

No comments: