Sunday, August 11, 2013

Only One Thing Today

A single item popped out of the news at me today, Ross Douthat's take on the sale of the Washington Post. We often decry the polarizing nature of news media today, but perhaps the partisan nature of today's news merely reflects a return to an old trend. From my studies of our past, I know that news outlets at one time were brazenly partisan. In the decades leading up to the Civil War towns typical had two newspapers, one offering the Democrat point of view and another offering the Whig/Republican perspective. Newspapers of different political stripes covered the Lincoln-Douglas debates very differently.

Another response: I've been an avid follower of the Washington Post for sometime. I think their op-ed page offers a superior variety of opinion to any other news organ I follow. It's ironic that a paper whose digital age strategy was allegedly so poor hooked me so convincingly. I'll remain a reader and fan of that paper for some time.

No comments: