Friday, September 26, 2014

Thirty Years War (23 years in)

This week's Economist cover depicts President Obama in an posture eerily reminiscent of President Bush's infamous "Mission Accomplished" moment. I think such allusion was intentional.


I'm unsure, however, if that magazine meant to include a picture in its coverage regarding ISIS that would be so evocative of the images we watched on TV news of the First Persian Gulf War in 1991.

The two images made me (re-)aware of how we have been in direct hostilities in some shape or form in the Middle East for more than half of my life. Our engagement there is approaching the length of the Thirty Years War. I wonder what historians will say a half century from now when they're examining what we did and didn't do.

I don't wonder what historians will say a century from now. Though optimistic, I don't think I'll be around to see that.

No comments: