Saturday, November 2, 2013

5 am on a Saturday

I don't know why I felt compelled to wake at 5 am today. No clue. Just did. Okay, now I remember: it came to my mind that I forgot something minor at work this week . . . really minor. But once it's there, it's there, and I'm up.

Not too long ago I would've trolled the TV listings for something worth my time. But instead, today, I caught up with the parts of Shrek my kids watched after I dozed off on the couch, watched two TED Talks on Education, and watched two videos featuring Chris Cizilla from the Washington Post's Post TV.

How is broadcast and cable television going to survive if a 37-year-old who grew up on TV gets his satisfaction from cobbling together free on-demand video like I did today? Okay, Shrek wasn't free: I rented it for 48 hours from Amazon so the kids could watch it last night. But otherwise, all free via the wonder of Roku and my laptop.

No comments: