Saturday, November 9, 2013

Saturday News

I'm forcing myself to stay away from news on the implosion of Obamacare. It's encouraging feelings of schadenfreude that I'm best to avoid. Further, I think I need to just tune out Washington. After all, reports regarding the reaction of markets to the shutdown as reflected in the most recent jobs report, I think many of us are ignoring the juveniles in D.C.

So, when I challenged myself to find more intriguing news, what did I find?

Wow, here's a fun piece about a man who has prided himself on collecting a 1981 Chevy Citation X-11. I fondly remember some of these relics from my youth. My first generation of friends included a father who owned a Cadillac Cimarron, And though it sported the four-speed described in the article, Aunt Mim (who watched me after Kindergarten classes, would often pick me up in a more pedestrian four-door version of the Citation. Hers was white.

Political geography, how fun! I like the author's description of my home nation, The Midlands.

Please keep in mind that today is the 24th anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall, a moment I remember that still gives me chills. Certainly today is the anniversary of a far grimmer event in that nation (Kristallnacht occurred 75 years ago today). It's fitting that BBC and Der Spiegel news websites are highlighting the latter, more tragic event rather than the one many of us can still remember.

No comments: