Friday, June 20, 2014

Year in Review

In the spirit of Bob Ford, I've decided to reexamine my last year of blogging.

In a post on June 15 I fulminated "How patently irresponsible the great powers have been!" regarding the West's inaction in Syria. I guess I could've said the exact same thing nine months later about Ukraine.

In a post on July 6 I reflected on an impromptu Canada Day during which (with friends) I "enjoyed Canadian macrobrew and Canadian whiskey." Also that "I re-learned the ugly consequences of mixing beer and liquor and resolve that I will not again follow a beer with a whiskey with a beer, or at least I won't until next Canada Day." (Canada Day is only eleven days away. Just sayin'.) Though I've stayed committed to the dictum against mixing beer and liquor I am now seeking a solution to enjoying local microbrews on work nights. I'm glad I have the summer to study this problem.

In a post on July 7 I rambled at length about the cause of the Civil War, concluding the post by saying that "For history nerds like this [sic], discussing the central questions of that era lead us to write, and write, and write." After a year of not teaching history, I've lost some of my ramble. However, I have found that teaching economics makes me much less compelling at social functions. Apparently, people meeting with me over drinks or food would rather discuss the Civil War than bond yields. Go figure. Good thing I'm returning to history teaching next year.

On July 14 I wrote about our decision to install central air conditioning. Though I certainly don't regret that decision, I regret that the temperature failed to get above 85 degrees for the rest of that summer.

In a post on August 6 I reflected on the loss of a friend, Steve Frederick by writing that

Directors like Steve or Buzz Jones (at my college) lead and create institutions that don't have to exist. Lansdale and Gettysburg would be just fine without those ensembles. But the communities are so much richer when such groups exist, and such groups only exist when leaders compel people to volunteer to be part of something bigger than the everyday.

I'm sad that I lost another such friend and inspiration this past month. And with Ron LaMar, too, I feel my words are all the more true and pertinent.

In a post from August 16 I discussed some adventures with Sherry finding good food. I'm glad to report that my adventures continued over the course of the past year, leading me to such greats as the Hog Dog in Richmond and The Oasis in Lansdale.

On September 22 I commented on how if the NFL was a stock I'd sell it. I applauded myself for having the virtues of being above football. A playoff run by the Eagles and a fascinating postseason made me realize I'm simply a mere mortal. Live sports remains the greatest prohibition against cord cutting.

On November 3 I reacted to a stay-at-home dad's advice to spend more and save less. Credit card statements might testify that I've adhered to that man's advice more than is prudent.

On November 27 I complained about a long stretch of unbroken school year in the fall. If only I had known what devastation the winter would take to my summer (which still hasn't arrive) I would've kept my mouth shut. The fall had nothing on this spring.

On December 8 I commented on the silliness of new model by which teachers are being evaluated in Pennsylvania. It remains silly.

Oh, no. Battery life is ending and I'm not done. Well I guess I'm done this post. Perhaps part 2 of my year in review will be tomorrow.



No comments: