Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Stay-at-home-dad angst

Today included a frustrating little moment. I took the kids to swimming lessons and the place was swarming with swim team members and their folks. Not in and of itself a problem. Apparently today was the annual photo day. And today I got my first summer dose of "soccer mom" culture.

A tradition at the pool is for the swim team to offer donuts for sale as a fundraiser on Wednesdays at swim lessons. Last week I forgot my wallet and thus couldn't get my two a donut. Oh well, it builds that stingy dad image I hope to rely upon in the future. But today I remembered to bring it. I also promised Sam and Caroline that I would buy them donuts as a reward for an awesome week and a half of swimming lessons.

However, when our lessons were over, the donuts were sold out. Sort of. All that was left for sale was one jelly-filled donut. But approximately three dozen were sitting in boxes "reserved" by other parents.

Before I go on, I wish to compliment my two for being cool with the fact that donuts weren't available. Perhaps my promise of a compensatory run to Yum Yum prevented a scene.

Okay, now for the rant: Reserving Donuts?!?!?! Swim team parents making sure their 8-, 9-, and 10-year-olds get their donuts while a legion of 3-, 4-, and 5-year old swimming younglings go without?!?!?! Swim team parents essentially cornering the market on a fundraiser for their own team?!?!?! Geesh.

Okay, now for the economic rant: Why in blue blazes didn't one of the swim team parents say "Here's an opportunity!" and then drive to the Dunkin' Donuts that is two miles away and get three more dozen? Rather than say no to bewildered, shivering kids whose parents had likely promised them a treat, they could have made an extra $30 in profits.

Okay, I'm done.

At dinner, though, Sherry reminded me that some day I'll likely be a swim team parent. She's right. But I won't reserve a donut for my kids. I'll reserve a seat at a nice restaurant, a seat on a plane, a place in a college around 2024 or 2026, but I won't reserve a donut.

Okay, now I'm done.

2 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Like.

Chris Johnson said...

But, I'm perfectly okay reserving a spot at the Glenside July 4 Parade.