Thursday, June 23, 2011

A surprising discovery

So, today I thought it would be fun to take advantage of the kidsbowl(kinda)free.com deal. I left at 1:15 to arrive at a bowling alley around 1:40, thinking that Thursday around 2 pm would be a light time for a bowling alley.

Boy, was I wrong.

Apparently the one o'clock hour is high time for the retirees of Montgomery County to come on out and bowl. Lane after lane was filled with gray-haired competitors. And they were good. A quick glance at the score board indicated that most of them were throwing spares and strikes.

We bailed. Too long a wait with a 3- and a 5-year-old. The kids took it well. We instead went to the King of Prussia Mall, which thought it still shines, has completely lost its appeal for me. Are we witnessing the death of the mall as we know it? Too many empty storefronts, allegedly because stores wanted to move within the mall.

- - - -

As for kidsbowlfree.com . . . I'm not saying it's a bad promotion. But there's a real "There is no such thing as a free lunch" thing going on. Of course shoe rental is mandatory. And, of course, a parent will have to accompany the kids. For as much as I love bowling, I always feel like there's great chances of feeling foolish with a trip to an alley: whether it's the goofy shoes, the public shame of frequent gutter balls, or the chance that you might not be able to get a lane.

One feels like a fool when calling to see if it's a good time to go: foolish for wasting time if the answer is "it's pretty quiet now" and foolish if one isn't part of the cliques that are bowling leagues.

Now as far as cliques go, I find bowling leagues to be highly unoffensive, even loveable.

I really do feel like an outsider at them, though.

Oh well, tomorrow I'll be foolish enough to take the kids to see a much-anticipated sequel at a theater on opening day.

No comments: